Google Adsense introduced smart pricing in order to give advertisers more value for the money they spend. Adsense Smart Pricing can have a lot of impact on the income from your website or your blog. In order to make sure that you are not a 'smart priced' it is important to first understand what Google Smart Pricing is all about. Take out a 10 minutes to read this entire post in detail and find out how you can increase your eCPM and get more money out of the same amount of your website traffic. This post is a result of my systematic experiments spread over 2 to 3 months. If you already know about smart pricing, jump to the new method discussed here.
- Your content and its relevance to the ad (for example an ad for selling Nikon camera will earn more if placed near a Camera review instead of say digital photography techniques).
- Your website's authority on that subject (for example a camera ad on a website on photography is considered more valuable than that on a personal website which talks about everything).
- The conversion rate for the advertiser. This is the most important factor and is explained in detail below.
- Content related measures to avoid Smart Pricing - It is important that you actually have good useful content on your website. If you send junk visitors through Adsense, i don't see any method how you can avoid smart pricing - as easy as that. Another important point to keep in mind about content is to try to focus on one particular niche for your website (if possible) rather than writing about everything under the sun.
- Link Units related measures to avoid Smart Pricing - There are certain spots on your website which receive highest attention. It is highly recommended that you put a normal ad unit instead of a link unit on this spot.
- Using Chitika to reduce Smart Pricing (New Method) - This one, i believe is relatively new and quite successful way of minimizing the effect of smart pricing. The way it works is the following. You Sign up with Chitika and place one or two additional ads on your website so that your visitors have larger options for clicking. This increases the possibility of the fact that those who click on adsense are really interested in it. Chitika ads are shown only to your Search Engine visitors so your regular visitors, won't even notice there is a Chitika Ad on your website. For best results you should choose two of the following three Chitika ads - (1) Chitika 480x180 unit just on top of content (2) Chitika Mega Unit just below content (3) Chitika Linx. Naturally placing Chitika may decrease your Adsense CTR. However the idea is to increase your total income not your CTR. In about a months time not only will your Adsense CPC increase, but also your combined income from Chitika and Adsense will be much more than that of Adsense alone. I have seen about 25-30% increase in my overall income. Signup with Chitika and give it a shot.